Maltings owners hold event on new office building for St Albans
- Credit: Archant
The designs for a major new office building in the centre of St Albans have gone on public display.
Boultbee LDN have submitted a planning application to build 23,000 square feet of offices at the London Road side of The Maltings Shopping Centre.
Director of Boultbee LDN, Sean Dempsey, said: “We are delighted to showcase our plans for new offices at The Maltings.
“The company has worked closely with the city council, [community design group] Look! St Albans, other landowners and the public, to create a development vision.”
A public information event took place last Wednesday, offering people the chance to view the designs and see what Boultbee has planned for the site over the next few years.
You may also want to watch:
In total, 48 people passed came to the meeting, which was also attended by Mr Dempsey.
He said: “We were pleased with the number of people who took the time to attend last week’s event and share their views on our plans for new office space at The Maltings.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
- 6 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 7 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
“During the evening we held a number of useful conversations which further emphasised the city’s need for office space.
“Our application has been submitted to St Albans council, and it will be determined in the coming months.”
Boultbee, which has owned the shopping precinct for 14 years, have already spoken to councillors about their plans.
Cllr Chris White, who represents the nearby Clarence ward, said: “It seems relatively sensible. Anything that can keep business in St Albans has to have some merit.
“I am concerned about the trees and the landscaping. The landscape plans mean all the existing trees in that frontage will be gone, and some of those are quite rare specimens.
“We need to be assured other trees will be in place of them.”
Cllr Alun Davies, who represents the St Peter’s ward The Maltings occupies, said: “I think there are two sides to it.
“I have been contacted by residents who live near to The Maltings, who are concerned as there are some issues about the offices overlooking properties.”
Mr Davies, who sits on the planning committee, said he would reserve his judgement for when the application comes before the committee.