Make sure your Fireworks Night goes with a bang in St Albans and Harpenden
- Credit: Archant
Angels will take to the skies above St Albans city centre this Saturday as part of the annual cathedral fireworks display.
The 25-minute display in Verulamium Park, the largest in the area, is highlighting the cathedral’s Alban’s Angels campaign this year and will open with angel fireworks accompanied by the Robbie Williams song of the same name.
The campaign is to raise money for a cathedral project to improve visitor and educational facilities, provide a wider range of events and activities for all ages and tell the story of Alban, Britain’s first saint.
Sub Dean, The Rev Richard Watson, said, “The cathedral originally put on the display as a way of reducing firework accidents at home. Over 25 years later it draws a regular crowd of more than 20,000 people to Verulamium Park and has become our largest charity event, to date raising over £700,000 for local and national charities.
“This year we are supporting the invaluable work of Keech Hospice. It’s a way of saying ‘thank you’ on behalf of the many families and individuals they care for day by day. And of course we are grateful to the hundreds of volunteers who make the event possible – local scouts, Rotary, Round Table, Lions and of course the cathedral congregation.”
You may also want to watch:
For the first time since the event began, visitors can choose to buy tickets for a new VIP area. The VIP package includes access to a marquee with seating and a hard-standing viewing area to see the fireworks display, a bar, a hog roast or pizza, plus live music before and after the display from the popular local band Mouth on a Stick.
Tickets are £25 and include a donation to Keech Hospice.
For general booking, tickets are cheaper in advance at £5 for adults, £2 for children and £10 for a family, available here, by calling 01727 890290 or going into the cathedral box office.
- 1 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 5 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 6 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
- 7 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines
- 8 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 9 Cheers! Great Northern pub set to host beer and cider festival
- 10 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
Several other firework displays are also being held in the district this weekend.
* Crabtree Schools in Harpenden are holding a display from 6.30pm this Saturday on their playing fields.
* OAs will be lighting the blue touch paper from 7.45pm on Saturday at Woollams in Harpenden Road, St Albans.
* Harpenden Rugby Club will be setting off the rockets from 6pm on Sunday at their grounds in Redbourn Lane.