Make sure your Fireworks Night goes with a bang in St Albans and Harpenden
- Credit: Archant
Angels will take to the skies above St Albans city centre this Saturday as part of the annual cathedral fireworks display.
The 25-minute display in Verulamium Park, the largest in the area, is highlighting the cathedral’s Alban’s Angels campaign this year and will open with angel fireworks accompanied by the Robbie Williams song of the same name.
The campaign is to raise money for a cathedral project to improve visitor and educational facilities, provide a wider range of events and activities for all ages and tell the story of Alban, Britain’s first saint.
Sub Dean, The Rev Richard Watson, said, “The cathedral originally put on the display as a way of reducing firework accidents at home. Over 25 years later it draws a regular crowd of more than 20,000 people to Verulamium Park and has become our largest charity event, to date raising over £700,000 for local and national charities.
“This year we are supporting the invaluable work of Keech Hospice. It’s a way of saying ‘thank you’ on behalf of the many families and individuals they care for day by day. And of course we are grateful to the hundreds of volunteers who make the event possible – local scouts, Rotary, Round Table, Lions and of course the cathedral congregation.”
You may also want to watch:
For the first time since the event began, visitors can choose to buy tickets for a new VIP area. The VIP package includes access to a marquee with seating and a hard-standing viewing area to see the fireworks display, a bar, a hog roast or pizza, plus live music before and after the display from the popular local band Mouth on a Stick.
Tickets are £25 and include a donation to Keech Hospice.
For general booking, tickets are cheaper in advance at £5 for adults, £2 for children and £10 for a family, available here, by calling 01727 890290 or going into the cathedral box office.
- 1 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 2 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 5 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 6 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 7 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
Several other firework displays are also being held in the district this weekend.
* Crabtree Schools in Harpenden are holding a display from 6.30pm this Saturday on their playing fields.
* OAs will be lighting the blue touch paper from 7.45pm on Saturday at Woollams in Harpenden Road, St Albans.
* Harpenden Rugby Club will be setting off the rockets from 6pm on Sunday at their grounds in Redbourn Lane.