Major St Albans city centre street closure for road repairs
- Credit: Archant
Traders and shoppers should brace themselves for disruption during a 20-day repair scheme in St Albans city centre.
A £32,000 scheme to repair damage and defects in the road and pavement of Market Place gets underway on Monday.
The repairs are being carried out by county council contractors Ringway, and will see the road closed between High Street and Spencer Street from 7.30am-6pm, excluding market days.
A signed alternative route will be in place.
Terry Douris, Cabinet Member for Highways, said: “These works form part of Hertfordshire County Council’s on-going commitment to maintain and improve our roads for the benefit of all road users in Hertfordshire.
You may also want to watch:
“We appreciate that these works are likely to cause some inconvenience to motorists and would ask everyone for their co-operation and patience while the work is in progress. Our contractors need to take particular care with this specialist work to ensure a long-lasting improvement. This takes time, hence why we have scheduled 20 days to complete the work. However, the contractors will do their utmost to complete the work as quickly as possible.”
The work is weather dependent and from time to time unforeseen circumstances can arise and work may continue outside the advertised hours.
Any changes to the proposed start date, duration or working hours will be announced on the information boards on site and will be available here.
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Fashionistas flock to Cathedral catwalk extravaganza
- 3 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 4 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 5 Market trader says goodbye to beard after 15 years
- 6 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 7 Birthday charity walks in brother's memory
- 8 Can you help after man left unconscious outside St Albans pub?
- 9 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?