‘Devastating’ fire at St Albans fish and chip shop
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters were called to a major fire at The Camp Fish and Chips in St Albans.
The fire broke out at the fish and chip shop on the corner of Sutton Road and Cambridge Road at 8.24pm yesterday (Saturday, July 13).
Crews from St Albans, Hatfield and Redbourn were called to the scene along with the Aerial Ladder Platform from White Watch Stevenage.
Police also attended the fire and said there are no reported injuries.
Owner Martin Chen said: "The shop has been here since 1921 - our heart is hurt."
You may also want to watch:
St Albans resident Rachael Garcia, of Camp Road, said: "I've lived here for 40 years. I think it is going to have a massive impact on our community.
"We don't have many spaces here to meet up and we go in there for a chat.
- 1 CCTV appeal after £100,000 worth of vehicles destroyed in arson attack
- 2 What to expect with pupils heading back to the classroom
- 3 Residents' misery after disruption on former Butterfly World site
- 4 Special report: An insight into dog theft in Hertfordshire
- 5 Tributes paid following death of 'warm and polite' Redbourn councillor
- 6 Blooming Burnham flower tributes 'spread love not lurgies'
- 7 St Albans' COVID cases decline considerably as roadmap out of lockdown announced
- 8 Harpenden receives high praise from Health Secretary over vaccine
- 9 The latest court results from the St Albans area
- 10 Renewed promises made across three generations of Herts guides
"People say it started in the roof. We could smell the burning plastic. This is devastating."
Tesh Tailor, who lives in Aldwyck Court, said: "We could smell it and we thought someone was having a barbecue."
The chip shop was used to film a Gucci advert in March last year. It featured One Direction's Harry Styles wearing a dressing gown whilst holding a chicken.
Road closures were put in place and motorists were advised to avoid the area.
If you want to help, visit www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/thecampfishandchipshop?utm_term=dnWvZ9v6D