Major delays for St Albans and Harpenden commuters using Thameslink line
- Credit: Archant
Delays of up to 90 minutes are expected on the Thameslink line until the end of service following an incident at Luton station.
Commuters are being urged to find an alternate route home after a cable came into contact with the overhead lines at about 2.30pm today (Tuesday).
Those travelling between St Albans and Bedford will be given a bus replacement service as no trains will be travelling north of St Albans.
Network Rail have closed off two platforms to fix the problem, but a spokesperson for Govia, which runs the Thameslink franchise, said that the shake up to the schedule will mean there are delays up until the end of service.
The spokesman went on: “The problems at Luton are causing huge disruption to our services. Even if it is rectified and we begin to operate north of St Albans to Bedford again, we will still have delays, changes to trains and cancellations because by now so many of the trains and driver are out of position for the evening rush hour.
You may also want to watch:
“We apologise to our passengers for the difficult journey they are likely to have home tonight and urge them to claim compensation if they are delayed by 30 minutes or more at.”
For live updates and route information click here.
For ticket refunds click here.
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 4 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 7 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 8 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 9 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 10 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'