Two hour traffic jam on M1 after van overturns
- Credit: Archant
An overturned van blocking several lanes has wreaked havoc on the M1 this morning.
There were two casualties after the vehicle collided with the hard shoulder.
It is unclear how the accident happened and Herts police are examining the incident.
All but one lane southbound, towards St Albans and between junctions eight and nine, was closed and traffic has been passing the incident on the hard shoulder.
It happened at about 3am, but the motorway is not expected to clear until after the morning rush hour.
You may also want to watch:
Herts police, three firefighting crews from the Herts Fire and Rescue Service, and the East of England Ambulance Service were all on the scene to recover the vehicle and care for two casualties.
Highways England estimate delays to be around two hours stretching back to junction 11.
For more information, visit www.trafficengland.com/
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 3 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 4 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 5 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 8 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 9 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 10 City centre pub opens new roof garden