Two hour traffic jam on M1 after van overturns
- Credit: Archant
An overturned van blocking several lanes has wreaked havoc on the M1 this morning.
There were two casualties after the vehicle collided with the hard shoulder.
It is unclear how the accident happened and Herts police are examining the incident.
All but one lane southbound, towards St Albans and between junctions eight and nine, was closed and traffic has been passing the incident on the hard shoulder.
It happened at about 3am, but the motorway is not expected to clear until after the morning rush hour.
You may also want to watch:
Herts police, three firefighting crews from the Herts Fire and Rescue Service, and the East of England Ambulance Service were all on the scene to recover the vehicle and care for two casualties.
Highways England estimate delays to be around two hours stretching back to junction 11.
For more information, visit www.trafficengland.com/
- 1 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 5 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
- 6 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines
- 7 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 8 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 9 Cheers! Great Northern pub set to host beer and cider festival
- 10 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe