Car crash closes M1 near Redbourn in early hours
- Credit: Archant
The M1 near Redbourn was closed after a car crash in the early hours of this morning.
Emergency services were called to a collision at about 1.30am between junction 10 and nine on the southbound carriageway of the motorway.
Firefighters from Redbourn and Harpenden, alongside one crew from the Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service, rushed to the incident.
Highways England closed the road and the East of England Ambulance Service sent a Hazardous Area Response Team, six ambulances and two ambulance officers to care for multiple casualties.
Five patients were taken to Luton and Dunstable Hospital and two patients were taken to Watford General Hospital for further treatment.
You may also want to watch:
All the M1 lanes were reported to be back open by 3.15am.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Motorists who kill cats should be prosecuted, says St Albans family after pet's death
- 3 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 6 Twice the yumminess from St Albans baking company
- 7 Area Guide: The Childwickbury estate explored
- 8 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 9 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 10 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London