Car crash closes M1 near Redbourn in early hours
- Credit: Archant
The M1 near Redbourn was closed after a car crash in the early hours of this morning.
Emergency services were called to a collision at about 1.30am between junction 10 and nine on the southbound carriageway of the motorway.
Firefighters from Redbourn and Harpenden, alongside one crew from the Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service, rushed to the incident.
Highways England closed the road and the East of England Ambulance Service sent a Hazardous Area Response Team, six ambulances and two ambulance officers to care for multiple casualties.
Five patients were taken to Luton and Dunstable Hospital and two patients were taken to Watford General Hospital for further treatment.
You may also want to watch:
All the M1 lanes were reported to be back open by 3.15am.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 5 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 6 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 7 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 8 Shortages crisis hits district
- 9 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 10 Magic Johnson keeps St Albans City in the FA Cup at Concord Rangers