10 vehicles involved St Albans M1 crash
- Credit: Archant
Emergency services have been dealing with a crash on the M1 involving 10 vehicles in the St Albans and Redbourn area.
A Herts Police spokeswoman said: “Police were called at 11.09am to M1 northbound between Junctions 8 and 9 to reports of a multi-vehicle collision.
“Ambulance and fire were also called.
“All four lanes were closed initially.
“At least one of the vehicles required recovery.
“One woman had to be released from her vehicle by the fire service but was not injured.
“The road opened just before 1pm.
- 1 Person dies after being hit by a train between St Albans and London
- 2 'Minor explosions' heard as garages catch fire in village near St Albans
- 3 Fresh call for safer crossing on route into city centre
- 4 Man breaks ankle during 'assault' in Hemel Hempstead
- 5 Body of man in his 40s found in Hemel Hempstead
- 6 Franco Manca receives licence to serve alcohol in St Albans
- 7 Police 'concerned for welfare' of missing Hertfordshire teenager
- 8 Car and moped crash in St Albans
- 9 Kaiser Chiefs to perform extra show at Pub in the Park 2022 in St Albans
- 10 St Albans Striders brave the heat to tackle numerous races
“A total of 10 vehicles were involved, there were slight injuries.”
At 1pm, Highways England was warning of half an hour delays following the collision on the northbound carriageway between Junctions 8 for Hemel Hempstead and Junction 9 for Redbourn.
Normal traffic conditions are expected to resume by about 3pm.
Highways England tweeted: “The #M1 is BLOCKED northbound between J8 and J9 in #Hertfordshire due to a multi-vehicle collision.
“Emergency services are in attendance and are clearing vehicles to the hard shoulder.”
Around noon Highways England also tweeted: “Traffic has been released.
“Only 1 lane (of 4) remains closed on #M1 northbound between J8 and J9.
“There are delays of half an hour on approach.”