M1 costs soar by £50m
THE cost of the present widening the M1 motorway between Junctions 6a and 9 has soared to nearly £300 million. The original estimate from the Department for Transport (DfT) was that the project which is due to finish at the end of this year would cost £24
THE cost of the present widening the M1 motorway between Junctions 6a and 9 has soared to nearly £300 million.
The original estimate from the Department for Transport (DfT) was that the project which is due to finish at the end of this year would cost £241 million but it has now risen to £290 million.
A spokesperson for the DfT said that in part the increase was due to the high rate of inflation in the industrial sector which was standing at roughly twice the rate of the Retail Price Index.
A report by management consultant Mike Nichols on road construction last year, which highlighted the likely £49-million hike in the cost, also found that the DfT carried out its estimates too early.
You may also want to watch:
As a result the costs of the project were always expected to rise during the construction period.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 5 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 8 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 9 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests