M1 closes after ‘large vehicle’ fire
- Credit: Archant
A “large vehicle” fire saw the northbound M1 closed last night.
Emergency services rushed to the incident between junction eight and nine, for Hemel Hempstead and Redbourn, at about 10.50pm.
At one point, there was more than two miles of congestion building up behind the fire, making at least half an hour of delays.
A picture Tweeted by Herts Fire and Rescue Service seemed to show flames engulfing a car transporter.
HFRS advised drivers to avoid the area, later Tweeting: "Four vehicles were saved from fire damage thanks to @Hemel_RedWatch on the M1 last night."
You may also want to watch:
Two lanes were reopened at about 12 midnight.
More information on this as it becomes available.
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 3 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 4 Shortages crisis hits district
- 5 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 6 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 7 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 8 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 9 St Albans school adopts new wellbeing app
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25