M1 closes after ‘large vehicle’ fire
- Credit: Archant
A “large vehicle” fire saw the northbound M1 closed last night.
Emergency services rushed to the incident between junction eight and nine, for Hemel Hempstead and Redbourn, at about 10.50pm.
At one point, there was more than two miles of congestion building up behind the fire, making at least half an hour of delays.
A picture Tweeted by Herts Fire and Rescue Service seemed to show flames engulfing a car transporter.
HFRS advised drivers to avoid the area, later Tweeting: "Four vehicles were saved from fire damage thanks to @Hemel_RedWatch on the M1 last night."
You may also want to watch:
Two lanes were reopened at about 12 midnight.
More information on this as it becomes available.
- 1 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 2 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 3 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 4 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 5 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 6 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 7 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 8 Check in to the Supper Club for something different
- 9 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 10 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan