M1 closed after accident
- Credit: Archant
The M1 is currently closed after a serious collision on the carriageway.
All lanes are shut northbound between junction 9 for Redbourn and junction 10 for Luton while emergency services deal with the incident.
At about 2pm today two motor vehicles collided on the fourth lane.
Firefighters helped to extract two men in their 80s who were trapped by their injuries.
They were treated by two ambulance crews and an ambulance officer, before being transferred to Luton and Dunstable Hospital for further care.
Long delays are building behind the accident and Herts police have advised motorists to take alternative routes.
The diversion is via the A5, past Markyate, Kensworth and Church End, to the A505/A5/B489 crossroads and onto the A505, re-joining the M1 at junction 11.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 5 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 6 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 7 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 8 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 9 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 10 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
The road is not expected to fully reopen until 7pm at the latest.