M1 closed after accident
- Credit: Archant
The M1 is currently closed after a serious collision on the carriageway.
All lanes are shut northbound between junction 9 for Redbourn and junction 10 for Luton while emergency services deal with the incident.
At about 2pm today two motor vehicles collided on the fourth lane.
Firefighters helped to extract two men in their 80s who were trapped by their injuries.
They were treated by two ambulance crews and an ambulance officer, before being transferred to Luton and Dunstable Hospital for further care.
You may also want to watch:
Long delays are building behind the accident and Herts police have advised motorists to take alternative routes.
The diversion is via the A5, past Markyate, Kensworth and Church End, to the A505/A5/B489 crossroads and onto the A505, re-joining the M1 at junction 11.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 6 Historic England asks: 'What do you love about your local high street?'
- 7 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Honey to the bee - hiving off new flavours for local gin
- 10 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
The road is not expected to fully reopen until 7pm at the latest.