M1 closed after accident
- Credit: Archant
The M1 is currently closed after a serious collision on the carriageway.
All lanes are shut northbound between junction 9 for Redbourn and junction 10 for Luton while emergency services deal with the incident.
At about 2pm today two motor vehicles collided on the fourth lane.
Firefighters helped to extract two men in their 80s who were trapped by their injuries.
They were treated by two ambulance crews and an ambulance officer, before being transferred to Luton and Dunstable Hospital for further care.
You may also want to watch:
Long delays are building behind the accident and Herts police have advised motorists to take alternative routes.
The diversion is via the A5, past Markyate, Kensworth and Church End, to the A505/A5/B489 crossroads and onto the A505, re-joining the M1 at junction 11.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 3 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 8 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 9 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 10 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
The road is not expected to fully reopen until 7pm at the latest.