M1 closed after accident
- Credit: Archant
The M1 is currently closed after a serious collision on the carriageway.
All lanes are shut northbound between junction 9 for Redbourn and junction 10 for Luton while emergency services deal with the incident.
At about 2pm today two motor vehicles collided on the fourth lane.
Firefighters helped to extract two men in their 80s who were trapped by their injuries.
They were treated by two ambulance crews and an ambulance officer, before being transferred to Luton and Dunstable Hospital for further care.
Long delays are building behind the accident and Herts police have advised motorists to take alternative routes.
The diversion is via the A5, past Markyate, Kensworth and Church End, to the A505/A5/B489 crossroads and onto the A505, re-joining the M1 at junction 11.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 3 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 4 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 5 What the fox? Mystery shoe thief revealed!
- 6 Call for Government to review district housing targets
- 7 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
- 8 Preaching into Sermon of the Year finals
- 9 Churches group organises meeting for Ukrainians and host families
- 10 Remembering 'Mr Harpenden' - the indomitable Michael Weaver
The road is not expected to fully reopen until 7pm at the latest.