M1 and A1 upgrading work to start soon, St Albans motorists warned
- Credit: Archant
St Albans motorists have been warned to expect disruption on the M1 and A1 from Monday (7) when upgrading work begins in Bricket Wood.
Highways Agency asset manager Stephen Hall said the improvements, which begin overnight on Monday, involve repairs and resurfacing of the M1 northbound between J6 with the A405 and J6A with the M25 and will be finished by Tuesday April 15.
Once completed work will then start on the A1 northbound between the Stirling Corner roundabout and the M25/J23, South Mimms, from April 15 until Friday May 9.
Stephen said motorists should notice smoother journeys as a result.
Work will take place between 10pm and 5.30am Monday to Thursdays and between 11pm and 6am on Fridays. No work is planned to be carried out over the weekend.
You may also want to watch:
Stephen went on: “We have planned the work to minimise disruption and that is why it will all take place overnight when traffic flows are lowest.
“In order to carry out the repairs and resurfacing the M1 or A1 will be closed overnight with clearly signed diversion routes in place so that road users can continue their journeys.”
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 3 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 4 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 5 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 6 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 10 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
When work is being carried out on the M1 northbound, motorists will be diverted via the A405 North Orbital Road through Chiswell Green to the Park Street roundabout, then on to the A414 to rejoin the M1 at J8.
And those on the A1 northbound will be diverted via the A411 Barnet Road, A1000 High Street and A1081 St Albans Road back onto the A1.