Luton airport terminal remains open to accommodate flow of vital cargo
- Credit: Archant
Luton airport remains open but will cease operations if necessary amid the coronavirus outbreak.
The terminal at London Luton Airport is currently open, however all shops and restaurants have all closed, except those selling essential items.
A spokesman for the airport said: ”Air travel is considered a key service under the latest government guidance, and for now we are continuing to operate the airport to accommodate a limited number of flights to help the flow of vital cargo, including medical supplies and to repatriate citizens to their home countries.
“We are continuing to monitor the situation closely and should it become necessary for us to cease operations then we will do so. In the meantime, we are working hard to maintain the highest standards of health and safety for passengers and staff.”
The airport’s mid-term and long-term car parks have been closed, and public transport providers have reduced services to the airport to reflect the reduced demand.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile many airlines, including Easyjet have chosen to ground all its flights due to the pandemic, while Ryanair is operating only 90 per cent of its service.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 5 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 6 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 7 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
- 8 'State-sanctioned abuse' - why the family court system is failing
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire