Luton Airport celebrates official opening of new terminal
- Credit: Archant
Luton Aiport’s three-year transformation has come to an end with the official opening of the newly-upgraded terminal.
The airport underwent a £160 million development, the biggest in its 80-year history, which will increase its annual capacity by 50 per cent - meaning 18 million passengers per year by 2020.
The upgraded terminal features 30 new shops, more than 1,000 extra seats, a new boarding pier and an expanded security search area.
It was officially opened by Transport Secretary Chris Grayling on Thursday, December 13.
Luton Airport CEO Nick Barton said: “2018 has been a milestone year for LLA. We celebrated our 80th anniversary in the summer and now we have completed our three-year transformation which brings a host of benefits to passengers.”
You may also want to watch:
Since the work began passenger numbers have already increased by 35 per cent.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
- 9 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public