Lucy brings Christmas cheer to Harpenden shops
NOT only is nine-year-old Lucy Porter artistically talented, she was also in a position to shed far more light on part of Harpenden recently. Lucy, a pupil at The Grove Junior School, switched on the Christmas lights in Southdown alongside Harpenden Town
NOT only is nine-year-old Lucy Porter artistically talented, she was also in a position to shed far more light on part of Harpenden recently.
Lucy, a pupil at The Grove Junior School, switched on the Christmas lights in Southdown alongside Harpenden Town Mayor, Cllr Rosemary Farmer. It was part of her prize for winning the Mayor's Christmas Poster competition.
The switching-on of the lights was particularly illuminating this year because, thanks to county councillor Teresa Heritage's locality budget, the town council had purchased new LED lights to brighten up the public areas and trees in Southdown.
Over 1,500 people went along to the community event organised by the town council in conjunction with the Southdown Traders which also featured rides for small children, a children's entertainer, a mountain bike display, craft stalls and a popular Santa's grotto.
You may also want to watch:
The Mayor said: "The atmosphere was fabulous, a real community, family evening. It was wonderful to hear the Grove Infant and Junior Schools choirs which I thoroughly enjoyed.
"The positive feedback from the community about the lights was fantastic to hear as the lights really enrich the area.
- 1 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 4 Fashionistas flock to Cathedral catwalk extravaganza
- 5 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 6 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 7 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 8 As sewage debate continues, how have our MPs voted?
- 9 Property Spotlight: A characterful Victorian home in Wheathampstead
- 10 Fly-tipped rubbish near Heartwood Forest set to be cleared