Love Your Local Market campaign launches in St Albans
- Credit: Archant
A NUMBER of subsidised stalls at St Albans market will be on offer to new traders as part of the Love Your Local Market campaign.
Kicking off today (15), the nationwide initiative aims to help budding entrepreneurs trade and keep residents shopping on the high street and will run until May 29.
Lesli Good, culture and heritage service manager at the district council, said: “Love Your Local Market is also about celebrating the role of markets in helping to support town centres.
“Our markets are a key driver of footfall for St Albans city centre.
“Please come along and support Love Your Local Market and enjoy the wonderful array of stalls offering everything from fruit and veg to hand-made gifts, clothing, fresh fish, meat and other delicious food.”
You may also want to watch:
The council’s participation in the scheme is part of a long-term strategy to ensure the sustainability of the market. Later this year a three year development plan will be presented to Cabinet.
Graham Wilson, chief executive of the National Association of British Markets Authority, said: “Love Your Local Market fortnight gives markets across the country the chance to demonstrate their importance to local communities and also provides the chance for new entrepreneurs to sample market trading for the first time.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Carillon Chamber Choir's farewell concert in St Albans
“It is a wonderful opportunity for many people to embark upon a new career.”
To register your interest in having a stall on the market call 01727 836781.
The Herts Advertiser has been running its own initiative supporting St Albans market since the beginning of April. We have been striving to raise awareness of our ancient market, the diverse range of products available there, and the challenges faced by traders.