Lottery grant for Harpenden youth organisation
- Credit: Sarah Allison
A grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund will enable a Christian youth organisation to share the story of its headquarters.
YWAM (Youth With A Mission) is based at the Highfield Oval in Harpenden and has received a grant of £10,000 to tell the tale of the former NCH children’s home which opened in 1913 and trained hundreds of young people in printing, carpentry, dressmaking, shoemaking and farming.
The project, which was launched last Saturday (18) at YWAM’s summer fair, will also explore the natural heritage of the Oval, which includes ancient woodland and an orchard.
Michael Green, of YWAM Harpenden, said: “Highfield Oval is a beautiful site and has a fascinating past. We want to make sure that the children who grew up here a century ago continue to be remembered. At that time the Oval was practically a self-contained community, with its own school, workshops, farmland, orchard and chapel. We are glad to be able to share the history and natural beauty of the Oval with the local community in this way.”
He added: “There is also a real connection between the original aims of the children’s home and YWAM’s work overseas today.”
You may also want to watch:
Much of YWAM’s work is in Uganda where it helps to find and support homes for children who have lost their parents to AIDS. The charity also runs a fruit tree planting scheme in the same area, providing families, local schools and other community organisations with sources of income.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 7 From supplying secret agents to headmaster's secretary, Patricia celebrates centenary
- 8 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 9 Our local wildlife needs your voice!
- 10 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire