Looking for Louis the St Albans fundraising bear
WHERE is Louis? The former owners of the giant bear which has raised thousands of pounds for charity are trying to find his current whereabouts.
Louis was won in a raffle by Frank and Jean Collins, of Firwood Avenue, St Albans, in 1983 and was a permanent fixture in their sitting room, only making occasional outings with the St John Ambulance Brigade to help in collecting donations for various events.
He would carry a bucket on his arm and members of the public would put in their donations.
But then the police mental health charity MENCOP expressed an interest in getting hold of a similar bear to Louis – who stood around 8ft tall with a matching girth – and the Collins family gave him to them.
Louis travelled around numerous events collecting donations for the charity and his adventures were captured frequently in the Herts Advertiser.
You may also want to watch:
In fact he was so successful at attracting donations that he was quickly promoted to the rank of sergeant and looked very smart in his tailored police uniform.
Louis was in active service for around 15 years and was last heard of still working in retirement and collecting donations in his bucket in the lobby of a hotel in Edinburgh.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 3 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 4 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 5 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 6 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 7 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 8 Church unveils new eco-garden to support wildlife in St Albans
- 9 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 10 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
Frank and Jean, who lived in St Albans for 46 years, eventually moved to Warrington in Pennsylvania, USA, but are keen to trace Louis’s current whereabouts.
Anyone who can help can contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org