London Marathon: Competitor looking for company on St Albans parkrun
- Credit: Archant
A man running the London Marathon is looking for people to join him on a St Albans park run this weekend.
Gary O’Leary, 56, is running the marathon for Herts Action on Disability (HAD).
He said: “Working with HAD made me realise how important their services are for the elderly, disabled and less mobile.
“So, despite a shaky knee and a preference for five rather than 40km, I’m taking up the challenge to run at London for them and try and raise some vital funds.
“It’s a great charity and one that we, or our close ones, may all need one day.”
You may also want to watch:
To get ready for the marathon, which attracts tens of thousands of runners every year, Gary decided to do a 5km run around Verulamium Park on Saturday, and has invited others to join him.
Visit justgiving.com/fundraising/marathongary if you wish to support Gary.
To find out more about HAD, visit www.hadnet.org.uk
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 9 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 10 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development