London Colney's oldest resident dies aged 100
CENTENARIAN Florence Catlin has died, just a couple of months after celebrating her 100th birthday. Miss Catlin, who was widely regarded as London Colney s oldest inhabitant, passed away in her sleep after a short illness. She spent the last few years of
CENTENARIAN Florence Catlin has died, just a couple of months after celebrating her 100th birthday.
Miss Catlin, who was widely regarded as London Colney's oldest inhabitant, passed away in her sleep after a short illness.
She spent the last few years of her life at Houndswood House Care Home in Radlett where she celebrated her 100th birthday on September 17 surrounded by her many friends.
Miss Catlin had lived all of her life in London Colney until that time. She spent the first part of her working life at a men's clothing factory in Clarence Road but when it transferred to the north, she moved to the De Havilland Aircraft Factory in Hatfield where she was responsible for the wiring and cabling of the aircraft. She continued to work there until her retirement.
You may also want to watch:
She was very involved in London Colney Girls' Brigade attaining senior officer level and was a member of London Colney Baptist Church where she worshipped for many years.
A memorial service in celebration of her life will be held at the church in King's Road at 11am next Wednesday, December 9. Refreshments will be served after the service in the church hall and donations are invited to the church.
- 1 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 2 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 6 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 7 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 Foodies lap up tastes of Harpenden
- 10 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works