London Colney niece’s marathon effort in aid of Parkinson’s Disease
- Credit: Archant
A London Colney woman surprised her uncle, who has Parkinson’s Disease, by announcing her plans to run a marathon to raise money for the condition.
Grace Hull, 21, who works in a coffee shop in St Albans, is in training to run the Brighton Marathon on April 15, 2018. The marathon coincides with Parkinson’s Awareness Week from April 10 to 16.
She was inspired to raise money for the condition after her uncle David, 69, was diagnosed with Parkinson’s six years ago, and signed up in April this year.
Grace, who has never run a marathon before, said: “I am currently in training. David and I go out together - he goes on his electric bike while I’m running alongside, and I also go running by myself.
“We are currently trying to organise quite a few things to do to raise money along the way, such as walks, coffee mornings, bike rides, barbecues and a golf day.
You may also want to watch:
“Some of them will be before the marathon and some will be a month or so after because we’ll need good weather for the barbecue and the golf day.”
Grace only told David about the marathon in October.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 3 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 4 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 5 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 6 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 7 Church unveils new eco-garden to support wildlife in St Albans
- 8 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 9 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 10 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
She said: “I did it as a surprise for David and I just told him and he got very emotional.”
A JustGiving page has been set up, and Grace has set a fundraising target of £5,000. So far she has already raised more than £300.
She wrote on the page: “I have always felt as though I am David’s adopted daughter as he has always done so much for me! Driving me and the horse around, lending me his (luxury) caravan, and many a meal out!
“And now I would absolutely love to give something back by running this marathon to raise money for Parkinson’s UK. I feel it is very important to raise money for them to be able to continue their research into Parkinson’s Disease and hopefully one day find a cure so people do not have to go through the same struggles as David and many others.
“I would also like to raise awareness of Parkinson’s and the difficulties that people with the disease face.”
David, who also lives in London Colney, said: “It’s fantastic, all the time she’s going to give up.”
To donate to the JustGiving page go to https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/GraceHull