London Colney man planning a Marathon effort
GOLF centre duty manager Dean Grimshawe is preparing to putt five marathons in five days to raise cash for a forces’ charity.
Dean, 31, who lives in London Colney and is duty manager at TopGolf in Watford, is joining seven friends in taking on the 131-mile challenge in late May in a bid to raise �15,000 for the charity Project 65.
As well as running the five marathons, they will be pushing a barrel of beer over the final 26.2 miles.
The group, competing as Team Warrior, are running from Ilfracombe, North Devon, to the army camp at Bulford, Wiltshire.
Dean said: “The route over Exmoor was originally part of a training exercise for soldiers preparing for the D-Day landings in 1944.
You may also want to watch:
“There is an urban myth that a group of these men were once ordered to run the 131 miles back from Ilfracombe to camp in full kit as punishment for stealing a barrel of beer. On the last day – our fifth marathon – we are going to push a barrel of beer 26.2 miles to Bulford. We want to recreate the myth and then drink to celebrate.”
Dean’s grandfather was a Royal Engineer and the two are very close which is one of the reasons why Team Warrior is running to raise money for Project 65 which supports members of the British armed forces and their families.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 6 Historic England asks: 'What do you love about your local high street?'
- 7 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Honey to the bee - hiving off new flavours for local gin
- 10 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
Dean added: “Running for Project 65 is very important to everyone involved with Team Warrior. We want to raise as much money as possible.”
To donate money to Dean and Team Warrior visit www.justgiving.com/teamwarrior.