London Bridge and St Albans Abbey Flyer passengers face disruption
- Credit: Archant
Plans for the re-building of a main London station are set to go ahead, leaving some London commuters with a longer journey.
London Bridge is due undergo a revamp, with commuters to the station facing an eight to 15 minute delay on their journey.
From August 23-31, which includes a bank holiday, services will be running from Bedford to Brighton, but on a different route between Blackfriars and East Croydon.
Nicky Hughes, Network Rail’s head of communications for London and the south east, said: “London Bridge is one of the country’s busiest stations and we’re re-building it piece by piece.
“We want to transform the north-south travel through London while keeping it open for passengers. This is a huge challenge.”
You may also want to watch:
The work on the station is taking place in phases. During the August period, signalling and track work will happen as platforms 12 and 13 re-open, while platforms 10 and 11 will be closed for demolition and re-building.
The station’s closure will also see the three-track bridge leading to London Bridge replaced, as well as the continued building of a concourse beneath passengers’ feet.
The re-build comes as part of government’s multi-billion pound investment to transform rail services.
- 1 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 2 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 3 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 4 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 5 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 6 Church unveils new eco-garden to support wildlife in St Albans
- 7 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 8 St Albans City get the FA Cup train moving with replay success over Concord
- 9 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 10 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
Alongside these changes, the Abbey Flyer service from St Albans Abbey station will not be running on Mondays, Saturdays and Sundays between August 9-26.
This is due to the complete replacement of an unreliable track, signalling and power supply equipment, which date back to the 1960s.
If you would like to receive alerts about your station, text TLP 12 and your home station to 60777.
For more information on the service changes visit www.ThameslinkProgramme.co.uk