Local villages fighting to win county crown
THREE villages are preparing to impress a panel of judges this month for the Calor Hertfordshire Village of the Year competition. Redbourn, Park Street and Kimpton are three of the 13 villages competing for the title of best village in Herts as part of a
THREE villages are preparing to impress a panel of judges this month for the Calor Hertfordshire Village of the Year competition.
Redbourn, Park Street and Kimpton are three of the 13 villages competing for the title of best village in Herts as part of a national competition sponsored by the gas company Calor.
The judges, who will make their inspections over the next two weeks, will spend 90 minutes in each village and will listen to presentations from various community groups during the stay.
Redbourn will be inspected on June 11 and, after coffee and cake at the new Redbourn Cricket Pavilion with the villagers, the judges will be taken on a grand tour of the village which will include a pony and trap ride down the High Street.
You may also want to watch:
Jo Simson, from competition organisers the Campaign to Protect Rural England (CPRE), said of the event: "It's the ideal opportunity to bring communities to life and, although it will be hard work for the villagers, past experience has shown that it's also a very enjoyable experience for all involved."
The winning village will be announced at a County Hall ceremony on June 25 and it will go on to represent Herts in the Calor Village of the Year for England final, which will be judged next April.
- 1 'Kick-ass' St Albans business campaigns for period pants tax removal
- 2 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 3 Woman loses more than £1000 in St Albans cashpoint distraction scam
- 4 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 5 St Albans district has Herts' lowest COVID-19 infection rate
- 6 6 movies to watch on TV this week made in Herts
- 7 New rules are a further nail in the coffin for pubs
- 8 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
- 9 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 10 Tributes paid to former St Albans City goalkeeper Lee Bozier