11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
- Credit: PHOTO SYNERGY
Cllr Edgar Hill has been elected the new Mayor of St Albans - but do you know anything about him? Here are 11 facts about our new first citizen and his role...
1. Cllr Hill has been a district councillor since 2014, representing Verulam ward.
2. He is the city’s 477th Mayor with the first having been appointed in 1553.
3. His role involves chairing full council meetings and represent the city at a variety of events, often involving voluntary and charity groups.
4. His deputy for his year in office is Cllr Helen Campbell who was first elected to the council in 2018.
You may also want to watch:
5. Cllr Hill's chosen charity for the year is Youth Talk, which provides free and confidential counselling to young people aged 13 to 25 across the district.
6. Cllr Hill was born to an Italian mother and English father and brought up in Milan and Radlett.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 3 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 6 Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for St Albans and Welwyn Hatfield area
- 7 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 8 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 9 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests
7. After settling in Hertfordshire he completed his secondary education at Queens’ School, Bushey.
8. After leaving school, he went into financial services and has now worked in the industry in various roles for 40 years.
9. He has lived in St Albans for 12 years and has a son and two daughters.
10. Cllr Hill is fluent in Italian and French.
11. He is a keen golfer, skier and tennis player, and also plays darts for the Farriers Arms in Lower Dagnall Street.