Leaps of faith at St Albans church community sports day
VARIOUS churches and faith groups within the district came together for a community sports day.
The recent event at Westminster Lodge saw more than 140 people aged between three and 60 taking part in 70 events including ‘whizzy’ javelin, long jump, sack races, egg-and-spoon races and running races.
Following the events Tony Smith, community engagement officer, awarded medals to winners of each of the 14 age groups and the trophy was given to the Marshalswick Baptist Group.
But organiser Paul Morillon said winning was not the main focus, rather the camaraderie and having fun together. He added: “Picnics and drinks were shared, as was the sun cream, sunhats, laughter and groans from those who had not raced for a while. Being part of this day gives the children that sense of belonging to a wider family and community.”
Tony Smith said: “This is a great day with a fun atmosphere – you don’t get better days for the family.”
You may also want to watch:
The Rev Graham Clark said: “It’s a nice fun event for all churches, for mums and dads, doing something together with their children.”
The event organisers thanked everyone involved for their hard work and enthusiasm and St Albans district council for sponsoring the event, now in its seventh year.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 3 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 Harpenden couple donate vital equipment for maternity ward
- 6 Harpenden card cloning suspects arrested
- 7 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 8 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 9 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 10 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets