Last minute training for Grove House cyclists
WITH just 37 days to go to the Deloitte Ride Across Britain, the Grove House team is training hard.
As part of their ongoing fitness regime, Grove House fundraiser, Liz Hizli, John Pilny and Simon Gay recently took up the Iain Rennie Chilterns Cycle Challenge, a 75-mile cycling challenge to test the fittest of entrants.
John explained: “The route was dotted with steep hills to climb and difficult terrain to cross. Simon, who has been training hard, completed the whole course in four and a half hours – he even stopped to help a young lady mend a puncture – she promptly shot off and beat him to the finish line!”
He continued: “Liz and I lagged behind and it took us considerably longer to complete the route – but then we did check out a couple of pubs along the way, and Liz stopped to chat – she knows everybody!
“By the time we arrived at the finishing line it was virtually deserted.”
The group continued their training last weekend and after several falls and shaky starts – mainly Liz trying out a proper racing bike – they managed to accomplish 52 miles in five hours.
Liz commented: “This is hard work and a huge challenge, a lot tougher than I expected when I first started training. I don’t think I would have got this far without the invaluable help from Nuffield Health gym, in particular the spin classes in the morning, and the race bike on loan from Giant in Radlett.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 3 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 4 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 5 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 6 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 7 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 8 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 9 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 10 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
“However, I will need to do a lot more training to be able to manage 100 miles a day for nine days – but I will definitely do it.
“I am determined to try and raise �10,000 for the hospice to continue the great work in supporting people with cancer and other life limiting illnesses, and their families.”
The Deloitte Ride Across Britain is a nine-stage cycling event taking place taking place between June 11 and 19. If you would like to ‘Ride a leg with Liz’, daily stages have now been launched. For more information visit www.rideacrossbritain.com/dailystages. To sponsor Liz and her team and follow their progress visit http://www.justgiving.com/jog2le4gh
If you would like to take up a challenge for Grove House, give Liz a call on 01727 731008 or visit www.grove-house.org.uk
Another update on Liz’s progress in the run-up to the Deloitte Ride Across Britain will follow in the Herts Advertiser next month.