St Albans summer party success for whole community
- Credit: Archant
Families flocked to Fleetville to enjoy the summer sun and spend time in their community.
About 750 people attended the annual Larks in the Park summer event at the Fleetville Community Centre, where there were stalls, performances, workshops, competitions, entertainment, and refreshments available.
Some money raised from the event will go towards revamping the community centre, which and is worn from use. Hertfordshire All Women’s Trust each year make and sell fresh Shingara’s to sell at the party.
Hertfordshire All Women’s Trust each year make and sell fresh Shingara’s to sell at the party, and despite the temperature reaching 31C, the spicy Bengali food was in high demand.
Director and founder of the trust, Syeda Momotaz Rahim, said: “The community centre is very much in demand but it’s falling to bits and costing us too much to run and the building is on its last legs. We have a huge amount of support from local residents who need a better and more energy efficient community space.
You may also want to watch:
“There was a very good turnout, lots of families, and lots of stalls selling food.”
Syeda is pleased to help fundraise for the Fleetville hub, as it would be a perfect place to base the Hertfordshire All Women’s Trust and host a free lunch club for locals living in social isolation and poverty.
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 4 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 5 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 6 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 7 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 8 New vicar comes to Harpenden church
- 9 St Albans Feastival proves highlight of food and drink celebration
- 10 Olympian Max Whitlock opens new Harpenden leisure centre
It is hoped the new building can be completed by 2025 and be taken over by the Fleetville Community Centre Trust from St Albans district council.
Chair of that trust is Val Goodyear-Burrows and chair of the New Build Committee is Mike Neighbour.
Larks in the Park took place on July 1 from 12pm to 5pm.
To donate and find out more about the new community centre project, visit www.fleetville.org.uk