St Albans summer party success for whole community
- Credit: Archant
Families flocked to Fleetville to enjoy the summer sun and spend time in their community.
About 750 people attended the annual Larks in the Park summer event at the Fleetville Community Centre, where there were stalls, performances, workshops, competitions, entertainment, and refreshments available.
Some money raised from the event will go towards revamping the community centre, which and is worn from use. Hertfordshire All Women’s Trust each year make and sell fresh Shingara’s to sell at the party.
Hertfordshire All Women’s Trust each year make and sell fresh Shingara’s to sell at the party, and despite the temperature reaching 31C, the spicy Bengali food was in high demand.
Director and founder of the trust, Syeda Momotaz Rahim, said: “The community centre is very much in demand but it’s falling to bits and costing us too much to run and the building is on its last legs. We have a huge amount of support from local residents who need a better and more energy efficient community space.
“There was a very good turnout, lots of families, and lots of stalls selling food.”
Syeda is pleased to help fundraise for the Fleetville hub, as it would be a perfect place to base the Hertfordshire All Women’s Trust and host a free lunch club for locals living in social isolation and poverty.
- 1 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 2 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 3 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 4 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 5 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 6 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 7 Tough mother Jenny giving back to Bone Cancer Research
- 8 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 9 Six Bells shock Skew Bridge to lift Herts Ad Knockout Cup
- 10 St Albans SustFest kicks off in style
It is hoped the new building can be completed by 2025 and be taken over by the Fleetville Community Centre Trust from St Albans district council.
Chair of that trust is Val Goodyear-Burrows and chair of the New Build Committee is Mike Neighbour.
Larks in the Park took place on July 1 from 12pm to 5pm.
To donate and find out more about the new community centre project, visit www.fleetville.org.uk