Lady Verulam opens farm to fork school in Harpenden
- Credit: Archant
A fifth-generation farmer keen to show pupils where the food on their plate comes from has launched a new agricultural school.
Ian Pigott was joined by the Lord Lieutenant of Herts, Lady Verulam, at last Wednesday’s (9) official opening of The Farmschool, at Annables Farm, Annables Lane in Harpenden.
The farmer said he was pleased that Lady Verulam attended the launch, which included a short presentation and tree planting ceremony, as “she is a great ambassador for Herts and the countryside”.
The event doubled as a small commemoration for this county’s deputy Lieutenants, as they also marked the milestone day on which Queen Elizabeth II became the longest-reigning monarch in British history.
Ian said that the school would help teach visitors, particularly children and young people aged between eight and 18, about farming, food, and caring for the environment through workshops and outdoor-based activities on a working farm.
He explained that he was passionate about reconnecting people with the land, to show where their food came from.
The school, which has already welcomed over 3,200 visitors over the past year ahead of it recently gaining charitable status, includes a working kitchen to allow pupils see the entire cycle, “from farm to fork”.
- 1 Teen punched in face and stomach during robbery
- 2 Is this the future of hospitality in St Albans?
- 3 Bank cards stolen from elderly woman
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 IN PICTURES: Alban Pilgrimage returns to city
- 6 What next for Alban Arena and city centre culture?
- 7 Youths 'kicked and threw stones' at pregnant hedgehog in Hertfordshire
- 8 St Albans Beer and Cider Festival set to return after two years
- 9 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 10 Verulam Reallymoving's Houghton on a high with Bovingdon win
Ian said the school, which also teaches kids from disadvantaged areas, was large enough to cater for entire year groups, as it could take up to 60 children at a time.