Kimpton resident named Apprentice Champion of the Year at national awards in London
- Credit: Archant
A dedicated and hard-working operations director has been named Apprentice Champion of the Year at a national awards ceremony.
Neil Cain, 52, of Kimpton, beat over 100 nominees to take home the National Apprenticeship Service accolade in a ceremony at London’s Grosvenor House.
He was recognised for his outstanding contribution to apprenticeships since starting his own in 1980.
It was while working for a contractor on the Royal Parks estate in Bushey that Neil’s talents in training and staff development came to the fore and he established a site-based training programme for staff as well as continuing to support the park’s apprentices.
He currently works as an operations director for St Albans council’s grounds maintenance contractor John O Conner.
Neil explained: “My progression from apprentice to operations director is a testament to the potential of apprenticeships and my biggest achievement. “It’s evidence a university route is not the only option to exceptional careers, hence why I champion apprenticeships in addition to my job role within JOC and externally.
“I always have an open door for anyone not just new young apprentices but existing staff.”
- 1 Body of man in his 40s found in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Married at First Sight: St Albans' Whitney wants to walk down the aisle
- 3 Car and moped crash in St Albans
- 4 Police 'concerned for welfare' of missing Hertfordshire teenager
- 5 Main footpath closed while CCOS South work underway
- 6 Could community banking hub open in Harpenden?
- 7 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 8 Hertfordshire under Met Office yellow warning for storms
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Red panda Tilly gives birth to ‘miracle’ cub at Paradise Wildlife Park one month after passing of partner Nam Pang
Hitchin and Harpenden MP Peter Lilley commented after the award ceremony: “This award acknowledges a long career that should be an inspiration and an encouragement to all those embarking on, or thinking of embarking on apprenticeships now. His dedication to helping those on the same journey as him deserves to be celebrated.”