Kimpton May Festival weekend raises thousands despite mixed weather
- Credit: Archant
Hertfordshire’s largest May Festival, Kimpton, had a great four-day weekend of festivities despite the mixed weather of sleet, rain and sunshine.
"The 55th May Festival in the village has been one of the best yet, and although weather was mixed, almost all of our events sold out and that has gone to make it the best year yet in terms of fundraising," chairman of the festival John Hills said.
The small village of Kimpton, six miles south of Hitchin and four miles from Harpenden and Luton, raised over £17,000 through assorted events keeping in line with the overall 'Cartoon' theme of its festival.
Kicking off on the Friday afternoon with an art show, sell-out wine tasting and two films - 'Ralph breaks the Internet' and 'Bohemian Rhapsody' - the Festival proved a great day-out for all the family.
"I'm delighted that we are able to provide such an entertaining weekend for all those who come, but there is also a serious side to the event and the money raised will go to a host of good causes both in the village and further afield," John said.
You may also want to watch:
Good causes comprise Kimpton Church, Dacre Rooms Kimpton, Kimpton Memorial Hall and a number of other groups, many of whom are yet to apply for funding.
The festival also held a procession of the May Queen and her attendants, a fun run, a tribute Madness night, the Brains of Kimpton quiz night, a dog show and the Kimpton Entertains show.
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 5 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 6 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 7 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 8 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 9 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 10 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
The dog show awarded prizes to the prettiest bitch, most handsome dog, cutest puppy (under 12 months), waggiest tail, best rescue, fancy dress. best veteran, dog judges 'would most like to take home' and best in show.
The Festival last day rapped up the revelry with a grand auction, some maypole dancing, a grand prize draw and cream teas on the Kimpton green during the Monday afternoon.
John is hoping Klimpton 2020 will be an even better success and has already started planning the festivities around the future May day celebration.
"Work has already started on a number of additions. We will also be distributing funds raised this year so our work continues through the year."
For more information on the 2019 Kimpton May Festival see www.kimptonmayfestival.co.uk .