Charity cycle raises awareness and funds to beat blood cancer
- Credit: Archant
A charity cycle ride from St Albans to London has built relationships between young people and police while also raising money for charity.
St Albans-based voluntary organisation Kickoff@3 completed their latest fundraiser on Sunday, December 6 by cycling and walking through London, finishing outside the London Eye.
The initiative was in aid of funds for Arya Lloyd, who is currently suffering with Aplastic Anaemia and is looking for a blood stem cell donor match. Arya’s father, Geraint Lloyd, is a surgeon based at the Lister Hospital in Stevenage.
Kickoff@3 founder Michael Wallace said: “Considering all the recent challenges and restrictions of COVID, Kickoff@3 were able to organise safely a charity fundraiser involving all cultures and inclusive to all from our vibrant community of St Albans and further afield whilst raising key awareness for 12 year old Arya, who is in desperate need of a blood stem donor match.
“We look forward to continuing our successful voluntary work locally.”
You may also want to watch:
Over lockdown, Kickoff@3 have also been cycling around St Albans and various parts of Hertfordshire in a four week cycling, running and walking challenge, while encouraging young people and community members to join in. The aim was to support mental wellbeing as many local grassroots sports facilities were closed, while raising money for blood cancer charity DKMS.
Kickoff@3 is a collaborative initiative set up in 2017 by Michael Wallace and Ashley Levien, with the goal to inspire, motivate, engage and support young people from all backgrounds through the medium of sport, music and other imaginative ideas.
To find out more about Kickoff@3 and the work they do, visit kickoffat3.co.uk.
- 1 There's no business like snow business in St Albans
- 2 St Albans' COVID cases continue to decline as UK surpasses "grim" milestone
- 3 Community pharmacies now part of Herts COVID vaccination rollout
- 4 Herts COVID-19 fatalities surge as UK death toll surpasses major milestone
- 5 The Snow Must Go On: More pics of St Albans in the snow
- 6 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 7 'This was quite an emotional experience!' - Thanks to Covid vaccination teams from the people they have treated
- 8 Claw enforcement: How to stop your cat scratching furniture and leaving fur everywhere
- 9 Bishop wages war on sports gambling
- 10 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre