Kelly Report challenges second home for future St Albans MPs
FUTURE St Albans MPs will not be able to claim for mortgage interest payments on second homes if the Kelly report into MPs expenses is adopted. Sir Christopher Kelly has identified St Albans as one of the constituencies which is within reasonable commut
FUTURE St Albans MPs will not be able to claim for mortgage interest payments on second homes if the Kelly report into MPs' expenses is adopted.
Sir Christopher Kelly has identified St Albans as one of the constituencies which is within "reasonable commuting distance" of London.
.Although it would mean future MPs not being able to claim for mortgage interest payments on second homes, it would not apply to existing mortgage arrangements which will be valid for the lifetime of the next Parliament.
Sitting MP Anne Main, whose claim for her two-bedroom home in St Albans came in for criticism during the recent MPs' expenses scandal, said: "My flat in St Albans has proved extremely useful in my role of serving my constituents, maintaining close contact with residents and attending up to 200 events a year in the constituency.
You may also want to watch:
"At this stage, all I can say is that it is my firm intention to keep a base in the city as I believe it is the only way I can give my constituents the level of service and commitment they require and I will also continue to commute using public transport.
"Whilst we are fortunate, we are not a wealthy family, so as a family we will have to give careful consideration as to how we will be able to do this but I will fully comply with the rules as they are laid out.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 3 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 4 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 5 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 6 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 7 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 8 In pictures: World's last 'truly wild' horse at Whipsnade Zoo
- 9 New campaign highlights Abbey Line hidden gems
- 10 Property Spotlight: A quaint cottage on Fishpool Street, St Albans