Keeping it real earns beer writer award
SPECIALIST writer Roger Protz has just received another major award from the British Guild of Beer Writers. Roger, of Charmouth Road, St Albans, got the silver National award for his work on the Morning Advertiser and What s Brewing. He said: I have won
SPECIALIST writer Roger Protz has just received another major award from the British Guild of Beer Writers.
Roger, of Charmouth Road, St Albans, got the silver National award for his work on the Morning Advertiser and What's Brewing. He said: "I have won prizes in the past but it is always nice to be recognised. These awards are fiercely contested."
Previous awards include Glenfiddich Drink Writer of the Year and Roger is regarded as Britain's leading writer on beer and pubs. He writes for a number of publications in this country and edits the Campaign for Real Ale's Good Beer Guide. He has also written books including Beers of the World and The Beer Lover's Guide to Cricket.
He appears regularly on radio and television and is a frequent public speaker.
He said: "St Albans is well-served with pubs. My local, the King Will, serves a good range of beers as does the Lower Red Lion, and the Farmer's Boy has its own fine micro-brewery.
"Even though we have lost The Mile House and effectively The Ancient Briton, we still have around 60 pubs to choose from.
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's West Common
- 5 London Colney children will be going nuts for this new Scouts group
- 6 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 7 St Albans recycling heroes raise £28K for hospice
- 8 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 9 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 10 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star