John Humphrys masterminds dinner for Grove House
WELL-known radio and TV celebrity and Grove House patron, John Humphrys, was guest speaker at the annual Robert Runcie dinner last week.
More than 100 guests enjoyed a three-course dinner at the Noke Hotel, followed by a question and answer session with John Humphrys.
John entertained the audience with anecdotes on a wide variety of topics ranging from his experiences on the quiz show Mastermind to dealing with difficult interviewees on the Today programme.
When asked if there was anyone he would like to interview and hasn’t, John replied: “That would have to be Her Majesty the Queen, I think she would be quite fascinating to speak to – what a wealth of experience, However, to date Her Majesty hasn’t granted me the honour!”
The evening ended with an auction and to start the bidding John offered a visit to the BBC studios to watch a live recording of the Today programme – a lot which sold for a staggering �1,200 to boost the hospice funds.
You may also want to watch:
Grove House event organiser, Sinead Grimes, said: “We are most grateful to John Humphrys and everyone who contributed to the success of the evening. We have raised in the region of �5,000, a great result. In this economic climate we are working harder than ever to keep funds coming in to ensure our vital services do not suffer.”
For more Grove House events visit www.grove-house.org
- 1 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 11 of St Albans' prettiest streets
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 6 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Foodies lap up tastes of Harpenden
- 9 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 10 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works