Jim aiming high for his charity target
PENSIONER Jim Miller will be running the London Marathon this weekend in aid of the local bereavement support charity where he is a trustee. The 65-year-old has been taking part in marathons since 1985, completing around 30 of them over the years and says
PENSIONER Jim Miller will be running the London Marathon this weekend in aid of the local bereavement support charity where he is a trustee.
The 65-year-old has been taking part in marathons since 1985, completing around 30 of them over the years and says he "almost" feels as fit as ever going into his first as a pensioner.
This year he has chosen the St Albans Bereavement Network (SABN) where he volunteers as a counsellor.
Jim, of Mount Drive in Park Street, was in the police force until the age of 51 and was a chief inspector for a number of years.
You may also want to watch:
On retirement he decided to find a new career challenge and he now works as a private counsellor after spending two years training.
Jim, who is married with two sons and three grandchildren, runs 40 to 50 miles a week and is a member of the St Albans Striders.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 7 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 8 From supplying secret agents to headmaster's secretary, Patricia celebrates centenary
- 9 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 10 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
He said: "I actually started when I was 40, in 1983, and until that time I wouldn't have been able to run 100 yards."
Although Jim enjoys pounding the streets when it isn't cold and wet, what motivates him is raising the money for charity and he has set himself an ambitious fundraising target of £10,000.
He said: "I've run many marathons since 1985 but I still need the motivation to get round. So if you can help me this time by sponsoring me for the benefit of the SABN, you'll be supporting a charity that I fully believe in and help many people at a very difficult time - and me to realise an ambition to run the marathon as an OAP."
To sponsor Jim visit www.justgiving.com/jimmiller1 or contact the SABN office on 01727 841914.