Is St Albans pensioner the country’s oldest clubber?
PARTYING pensioner Tom Parker has been dubbed the oldest clubber in the country after celebrating his 90th birthday throwing some shapes on the dance floor at his regular nightspot.
Tom - or Uncle Tom as he is known by partygoers - has been having it large at Batchwood Hall nightclub in St Albans for more than 30 years.
And so there was no better venue for him to have his special birthday bash last Saturday which saw him boogying until 4am in the morning.
But according to Batchwood Hall manager Peter Bell this is nothing out of the ordinary as Tom, who lives in Batchwood with his wife Barbie, is usually the last man standing on the dance floor.
He said: “Tom has been one of our best clubbers for over 30 years and his dancing puts the youngsters to shame.
You may also want to watch:
“In fact, he often pops home to put his wife to bed with an Ovaltine before changing his shirt and coming back until the bitter end.
“He’s a real legend.”
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 5 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 9 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 10 Area Guide: The popular Highfield area of St Albans
Tom has been “blissfully” married to Barbie for 63 years, and all three generations of his family joined him last Saturday to celebrate his landmark birthday.
While the great-grandfather has danced his way through more than half a dozen decades of music, his favourite tunes are from the 1990s and he can’t resist strutting his stuff to Shakira’s Hips Don’t Lie.
The clubbing king said: “Music and dancing is one of the best things in my life. It’s kept me fit and feeling young and I wouldn’t miss my Saturdays on the dance floor for anything.”