New Look announces store closures - is St Albans affected?
- Credit: Archant
New Look, which operates a store in The Maltings in St Albans, has announced 60 stores will be closed to avoid going into administration.
The clothing company is the latest high-profile business to announce it is cutting costs, after Jamie’s Italian announced it was closing its restaurant in the city.
However, New Look in St Albans is not on the proposed list of closures.
The company is today instigating a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) where it tries to negotiate a deal to pay creditors over a fixed period while it continues trading.
Executive chairman of New Look Alistair McGeorge said: “Given our challenged trading performance and over-rented UK store estate, we are having to take tough but necessary actions to reduce our fixed cost base and restore long-term profitability.
You may also want to watch:
“We have held constructive discussions with our key landlords and strategic partners and will now seek creditor approval on our CVA proposal. A priority for us is to keep all potentially affected colleagues informed during this difficult time.”
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 5 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant