International crop protection business relocates to Harpenden from Portugal
- Credit: Archant
Portugal’s loss is Harpenden’s gain after a crop protection business moved its base to the town.
Gowan Crop Protection Limited recently announced that it had opened a new office at Rothamsted Research, to manage its increasing business in the UK and its international operations.
The Gowan Group is based in Yuma, Arizona, in the United States, and markets crop protection products, seeds and fertilisers.
On September 2 Gowan Crop Protection officially took on Gowan Comercio Internacional e Servicos Limitada, a Portugal based entity that previously facilitated Gowan’s international operations, and which will cease to operate.
In a press release, Gowan Group CEO Juli Jessen said that a “number of factors were considered in determining where to establish domicile for the new office, including tax burden and tax treaties, employee availability and skill level, business and employment law and global accessibility, particularly from Europe and the U.S.
You may also want to watch:
“After much consideration it was agreed that Rothamsted Centre for Research and Enterprise (RoCRE) is the optimal location for this new international hub.”
She added: “RoCRE presents an exceptional opportunity for us to find a home that fits our ‘muddy boots’ culture and we are excited to be surrounded by innovators in agriculture.”
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 5 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 8 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 9 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
The new centre, recently built during expansion work at Rothamsted, is a hub focused on collaboration by partnering with such commercial agricultural technology businesses and offers flexible laboratory space and meeting facilities.