International crop protection business relocates to Harpenden from Portugal
- Credit: Archant
Portugal’s loss is Harpenden’s gain after a crop protection business moved its base to the town.
Gowan Crop Protection Limited recently announced that it had opened a new office at Rothamsted Research, to manage its increasing business in the UK and its international operations.
The Gowan Group is based in Yuma, Arizona, in the United States, and markets crop protection products, seeds and fertilisers.
On September 2 Gowan Crop Protection officially took on Gowan Comercio Internacional e Servicos Limitada, a Portugal based entity that previously facilitated Gowan’s international operations, and which will cease to operate.
In a press release, Gowan Group CEO Juli Jessen said that a “number of factors were considered in determining where to establish domicile for the new office, including tax burden and tax treaties, employee availability and skill level, business and employment law and global accessibility, particularly from Europe and the U.S.
You may also want to watch:
“After much consideration it was agreed that Rothamsted Centre for Research and Enterprise (RoCRE) is the optimal location for this new international hub.”
She added: “RoCRE presents an exceptional opportunity for us to find a home that fits our ‘muddy boots’ culture and we are excited to be surrounded by innovators in agriculture.”
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 3 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 4 Fashionistas flock to Cathedral catwalk extravaganza
- 5 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 6 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 7 As sewage debate continues, how have our MPs voted?
- 8 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 9 Property Spotlight: A characterful Victorian home in Wheathampstead
- 10 Fly-tipped rubbish near Heartwood Forest set to be cleared
The new centre, recently built during expansion work at Rothamsted, is a hub focused on collaboration by partnering with such commercial agricultural technology businesses and offers flexible laboratory space and meeting facilities.