Inquest rules St Albans man’s death was drug-related
- Credit: Archant
An Asperger’s sufferer from St Albans died after overdosing on a drug designed to help with pain and breathing problems.
Brendan Rogers, 39, died after spending the night at a friends house on August 17, 2015, an inquest heard last Wednesday.
Mr Rogers, of Robert Avenue, St Albans, had been to visit his friend in Hemel Hempstead the day before when he began to feel drowsy.
The former computer engineer was instructed to stay over and sleep after taking dihydrocodeine pills.
Mr Rogers was then told to stay out of the way for the evening as the owner of the house had family visiting.
You may also want to watch:
Later, Mr Rogers’ friend found him in a chair in the summerhouse. He asked repeatedly for a cigarette and his breathing remained normal.
After being regularly checked upon, Mr Rogers was provided with a duvet and then went to bed.
- 1 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 6 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 7 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 8 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 9 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 10 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
The next morning he was found slumped on the sofa, unresponsive, and paramedics confirmed that he had died at 11.45am.
Mr Rogers was known to drug and alcohol service Spectrum and Community Mental Health but neither felt he needed any further treatment following assessment.
Herts Senior Coroner Geoffrey Sullivan recorded a verdict of drug-related death.
He said: “There is no evidence to suggest that Mr Rogers did a deliberate act or wanted to end his life.”