Inquest rules St Albans man’s death was drug-related

PUBLISHED: 15:16 09 February 2016 | UPDATED: 15:16 09 February 2016

Hatfield Coroner's Court

Hatfield Coroner's Court

Archant

An Asperger’s sufferer from St Albans died after overdosing on a drug designed to help with pain and breathing problems.

Brendan Rogers, 39, died after spending the night at a friends house on August 17, 2015, an inquest heard last Wednesday.

Mr Rogers, of Robert Avenue, St Albans, had been to visit his friend in Hemel Hempstead the day before when he began to feel drowsy.

The former computer engineer was instructed to stay over and sleep after taking dihydrocodeine pills.

Mr Rogers was then told to stay out of the way for the evening as the owner of the house had family visiting.

Later, Mr Rogers’ friend found him in a chair in the summerhouse. He asked repeatedly for a cigarette and his breathing remained normal.

After being regularly checked upon, Mr Rogers was provided with a duvet and then went to bed.

The next morning he was found slumped on the sofa, unresponsive, and paramedics confirmed that he had died at 11.45am.

Mr Rogers was known to drug and alcohol service Spectrum and Community Mental Health but neither felt he needed any further treatment following assessment.

Herts Senior Coroner Geoffrey Sullivan recorded a verdict of drug-related death.

He said: “There is no evidence to suggest that Mr Rogers did a deliberate act or wanted to end his life.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Herts Advertiser