Inquest rules man’s death at St Albans building site ‘accidental’

Coroner's Court in Hatfield

Coroner's Court in Hatfield - Credit: Archant

A four-year wait for an inquest into the death of a 20 year old man has resulted in an apology from the Coroner’s Court.

Robert Shore, of Mimms Hall Road, Potters Bar, died after a concrete block landed on him at a building site in Oaklands Lane, Smallford, on July 6, 2011.

An inquest jury last week ruled that his death was accidental.

The tragedy occurred at a construction site near St Albans four years ago where Mr Shore was working on the demolition of a building.

But grieving relatives and friends of Mr Shore had to wait until last Thursday (25) for his inquest to be held.


You may also want to watch:


A jury of two women and eight men concluded Mr Shore had died of traumatic cranial injuries, which occurred “as a result of being struck by rubble or concrete that had fallen from a machine”.

The jury also decided the death was accidental.

Most Read

Deputy coroner Graham Danbury, who presided over the two-day hearing on Wednesday and Thursday, said: “Members of Robert’s family and friends, I can only apologise that you’ve had to wait so long for this process to run its course.”

He said the length of time they had to wait was due to investigations into the industrial accident.

Mr Danbury added: “Thank you all for coming to show your love and support for Robert.”

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) launched a probe into Mr Shore’s death shortly after it happened.

Following the inquest a spokesman for HSE said the organisation was, “considering its course of action now the inquest has concluded”.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus