Inquest into baby’s death is opened

AN INQUEST has been opened into the death of a baby boy who choked at a St Albans restaurant.

Eight-month-old Benjamin O’Brien was pronounced dead at the QE2 Hospital in Welwyn Garden City following the incident at Darcys in Hatfield Road, on Sunday, March 13.

He had swallowed a marshmallow floating in a hot chocolate drink which is thought to have expanded in his throat, and despite the best efforts of his father, restaurant staff, onlookers and paramedics, he could not be saved.

The inquest into the death of the little boy, who lived in Finchingfield and was born in Cambridge, was opened and adjourned on March 21 awaiting the results of a histology examination.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus