Info on Armed Forces Veterans Badge at Oaklands College fayre, St Albans
- Credit: Photo supplied
St Albans locals wanting more information on the Armed Forces Veterans Badge following television coverage of the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings, can visit a stall at a community event this weekend.
Members of the long-running St Albans branch of the Royal British Legion will be at Oaklands College’s summer fayre on Sunday (15).
Don Dell, branch chairman, said that with renewed interest in the badge, branch members would be at the college’s Smallford Campus in Hatfield Road to give advice on how to apply for it.
Members will also provide information on events hosted by the group.
Television coverage of the D-Day landings anniversary showed veterans wearing the badge alongside decorations of valour, campaign medals and regimental insignia.
These highlight the many men and women who put their lives on the line during the storming of the beaches of Normandy along with later battles.
Mr Dell said that the Ministry of Defence was trying to convey the importance of supporting veterans of all ages by celebrating and raising public awareness of their courage and achievements.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 3 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 4 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 5 What the fox? Mystery shoe thief revealed!
- 6 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
- 7 Youths 'kicked and threw stones' at pregnant hedgehog in Hertfordshire
- 8 Call for Government to review district housing targets
- 9 Preaching into Sermon of the Year finals
- 10 The Midwich Cuckoos: Keeley Hawes on Sky's gripping new drama adapted from John Wyndham’s sci-fi novel
The badge is available to all of those who have served in the Armed Forces.
Mr Dell said that in St Albans residents had shown their support for veterans, with £64,000 raised in the district’s recent Poppy Appeal – one of the largest amounts collected in this area.