Police stop and search 11 young people after St Albans stabbing

Verulamium Park

Verulamium Park - Credit: Archant

Police have stopped and searched 11 young people in St Albans since a teenager was stabbed in the city earlier this month.

Officers were given temporary powers after a teenager was attacked in Verulamium Park on Friday, June 15.

Ch Insp Stuart Cheek said: “I’m pleased to report no-one was arrested and no weapons were found.

“We wanted to make it clear to anyone we will use whatever powers we can to protect young people and make St Albans a safer place for all residents and visitors.

“We hope this action, which is part of a wider strategy to deter knife crime, acts as a deterrent for anyone carrying weapons and reassures the public.

“Members of the public we spoke to were pleased with the implementation of the powers, which meant officers could search anyone in the area during the specified time scales and of the high visibility presence of police.”

The temporary powers took effect from 3.15pm on Friday, June 22 until 3am on Saturday, June 23 and from 3.15pm on Saturday, June 23 until 3am on Sunday, June 24 in Verulamium Park, St Michaels Street A5183, King Harry Lane, A4147, A5183 and St Stephens Hill.

Most Read

Ch Insp Cheek added: “This is not a one-off response, but rather part of a longer term plan involving St Albans council, schools, colleges and parents to speak to their children about the danger of carrying knives.

“We will continue to have overt and covert police patrols in areas we suspect people are gathering with weapons.

“Please let us know if you have any information about those carrying knives so that we can intervene before anyone is hurt by calling us on 101 or 999 if you suspect an offence is occurring or is imminent.”

“We don’t want any more young people or their families in St Albans having to deal with the after-effects of crime committed using a knife.

“Together, as a community, we can help keep St Albans a safe place to live, work and visit.”

Three teenage boys were arrested following the attack, and one was charged with grievous bodily harm and assault by beating.

The 14-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, appeared before magistrates on Monday, June 18.