Hospice reaches out to Harpenden
HOSPICE at Home, the new service launched by Grove House, is now available to patients in Harpenden. The service cares for people in the comfort of their own homes but due to funding constraints, it is currently only available to patients in just three St
HOSPICE at Home, the new service launched by Grove House, is now available to patients in Harpenden.
The service cares for people in the comfort of their own homes but due to funding constraints, it is currently only available to patients in just three St Albans surgeries - Parkbury House, The Lodge and The Maltings - who can access it from 8am to 6pm seven days a week.
But as of this month, patients in all three Harpenden surgeries may be referred to the service.
Chief executive at Grove House, Mark Lister, said: "Research shows that most terminally ill patients would prefer to spend their final days at home, yet in this area the majority die in hospital. It is clear that this service is urgently needed."
He continued: "We are delighted that this month we can extend this new daytime service to the people of Harpenden. Hospice at Home will cost an additional �350,000 each year.
"We have one third committed from the Primary Care Trust but need huge generosity from local people to raise the remaining �233k each year.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 4 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 7 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 8 Herts, camera, action! Turning film fantasy into reality with new screen tourism development programme
- 9 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 10 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
"As soon as we secure full funding, we plan to go 24-hour and extend the service to all residents in St Albans and Harpenden District."
To make a donation or for more information about Grove House and the Hospice at Home service, call 01727 731000 or visit www.grove-house.org.uk