Hospice reaches out to Harpenden
HOSPICE at Home, the new service launched by Grove House, is now available to patients in Harpenden. The service cares for people in the comfort of their own homes but due to funding constraints, it is currently only available to patients in just three St
HOSPICE at Home, the new service launched by Grove House, is now available to patients in Harpenden.
The service cares for people in the comfort of their own homes but due to funding constraints, it is currently only available to patients in just three St Albans surgeries - Parkbury House, The Lodge and The Maltings - who can access it from 8am to 6pm seven days a week.
But as of this month, patients in all three Harpenden surgeries may be referred to the service.
Chief executive at Grove House, Mark Lister, said: "Research shows that most terminally ill patients would prefer to spend their final days at home, yet in this area the majority die in hospital. It is clear that this service is urgently needed."
You may also want to watch:
He continued: "We are delighted that this month we can extend this new daytime service to the people of Harpenden. Hospice at Home will cost an additional �350,000 each year.
"We have one third committed from the Primary Care Trust but need huge generosity from local people to raise the remaining �233k each year.
- 1 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 2 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 3 Appeal for witnesses after fatal road accident
- 4 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 5 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 6 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
- 7 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 8 No cars mean children can play out in streets
- 9 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 10 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
"As soon as we secure full funding, we plan to go 24-hour and extend the service to all residents in St Albans and Harpenden District."
To make a donation or for more information about Grove House and the Hospice at Home service, call 01727 731000 or visit www.grove-house.org.uk