Hospice of St Francis win public vote to become St Albans Half Marathon official charity
- Credit: Archant
The Hospice of St Francis sprinted to the finish line in a close competition to choose the official charity for the 2016 St Albans Half Marathon.
Pitted against seven local good causes, the hospice squeezed ahead to win the public vote, and with it a donation from the profits of the event, plus benefit from promotion across the St Albans area in the run-up to the race on June 12.
Last year around 30 per cent of patients from The Hospice of St Francis came from the St Albans area and many patients with a life-limiting illness and their families benefitted, not only from a hospice bed, but also from bereavement support or from clinics and therapies offered at the Hospice’s outpatient Spring Centre.
Steve Jamieson, CEO of The Hospice of St Francis, commented, “I am delighted that the Hospice of St Francis has been chosen to be the benfeciary charity of the St Albans Half Marathon next year. As the St Albans marathon celebrates its 35th year in 2016, our hospice is also marking a similar milestone having provided hospice care for those living in West Hertfordshire for 36 years and I am aware that so many in the St Albans community have been touched by our care.
“I feel so proud to be associated with this major Hertfordshire event and I would personally like to thank everybody who took the time to vote for us.”
You may also want to watch:
Race director Katie Foweraker said: “We are delight that the community came together to have their say and choose which charity they would like the event to support for 2016. We are looking forward to working with the Hospice of St Francis over the next eight months as we aim to grow the event and continue the reputable community legacy it has established over the past 35 years.”
The event includes various races for all ages and abilities, including a half marathon, walking half marathon, wheelchair half marathon, 5K race and 1.5 mile children’s fun run, all of which aim to raise vital funds for the Hospice. Registration is open now, please visit: www.stalbanshalfmarathon.co.uk
- 1 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 4 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 5 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 6 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 7 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 8 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 9 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 10 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes