HMS St Albans shadows Russian warship near British waters
- Credit: Photo courtesy of Royal Navy
HMS St Albans has shadowed a Russian warship which was sailing near to British waters.
The Royal Navy frigate was out at sea over Christmas to keep an eye on the Admiral Gorshkov in the North Sea.
Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said: “I will not hesitate in defending our waters or tolerate any form of aggression.
“Britain will never be intimidated when it comes to protecting our country, our people, and our national interests.”
HMS St Albans escorted a Russian carrier group through the Channel in January.
You may also want to watch:
The type-23 frigate, dubbed ‘The Saint’ by her company, has strong ties to the city.
On St Albans Day in June, district mayor Mohammad Iqbal Zia was invited aboard for an awards ceremony.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 5 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 8 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 9 Green light given to new hospital project
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
Ship representatives regularly attend local ceremonies and parades, and the ship’s company was granted the Freedom of the City of St Albans in 2004.