Hitchin and Harpenden MP Bim Afolami launching air pollution campaign
- Credit: Archant
The MP for Hitchin and Harpenden has launched a campaign to protect children from air pollution.
Bim Afolami has written to all the headteachers in the constituency to encourage the implementation of Clean Air Zones (CAZs) around their sites.
Traffic in a CAZ is diverted away from school gates for an hour at the beginning and end of the day.
He said: "There has been a growing body of research over recent years highlighting the severe dangers of air pollution and their huge impacts on our children's health.
"We must do more, and faster, in order to protect them - not least where they study and play. Parliament is starting to debate the mandatory implementation of CAZs with the new Air Pollution Bill.
You may also want to watch:
"But our children should not have to wait for these long, drawn-out procedures. They deserve clean air now."
Research published by the Environmental Research Letters journal this year found that pollution caused 36,000 premature deaths each year and according to Unicef, a third of children grew up in areas of unsafe air quality in 2018.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 3 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 4 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 7 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 8 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 9 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire