Hitchin and Harpenden MP backs Boris Johnson in Conservative leadership race
- Credit: Archant
Hitchin and Harpenden MP Bim Afolami has declared his support for Boris Johnson as the final stage of the Conservative leadership race approaches.
Mr Afolami previously supported West Suffolk MP Matt Hancock, but was forced to reassess his options after Mr Hancock withdrew from the race over the weekend.
In an interview with Sky News yesterday, Mr Afolami officially backed Boris Johnson and said he believes party unity is the key to deliver the Brexit deal.
He also said he thinks Matt Hancock had the best Brexit plan, and that Boris will consider that and other new options to deliver Brexit.
Later today, Conservative MPs will choose which two candidates will contest the Conservative leadership, with four candidates narrowed down to three in a secret ballot, the result of which will be announced at about 1pm.
You may also want to watch:
There will then be a vote to select the final two, and one will be elected leader.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 3 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 8 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 9 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 10 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor